link to main site

link to main site
This is my old site now. Click here for the new one!

Monday 11 June 2012

Cyber-nouveau! Or something like that

So, I had some time off, and actually don't seem to have anything to show for it. Time to fix that!

What is it? Well, my wedding reception was held at the awesome Belgian Brasserie at Merton Abbey Mills in South West London. As well as fantastic food, they have beautiful Art Nouveau prints up on the walls, and I was struck by how graphic-arty and comic-booky (and other adjectives which do exist) they looked. It got me thinking about those poses being updated to a more sci-fi style. This is the first reach a finished pencil stage, although another is close. When they're done, I'll be sticking them on t-shirts and other items in my shop!

The drawing's based on the image below, which I unfortunately don't have a name for. If you recognise it, please do let me know.

©2012 James Mathurin

1 comment:

  1. It's a Mucha, James. I have one in embroidery I did, probably in my portfolio photos on FB. Mucha is great for playing with. Interesting artistic history too. Glad to see you're coming over perhaps a little to the steampunk side!

    ReplyDelete